Due to the upcoming retirement of Dr. Campana, our Shockwave Therapy services will no longer be available after November 25, 2022.
Read More Here
What is Radial Shockwave Therapy?
Radial Shockwave Therapy (RSWT) is a safe, effective and non-surgical technology utilizing high-energy, short wavelength sound waves, called shockwaves, to treat tendons, bone, and periosteum (surface of the bone). Shockwave treatments are non invasive and are used to promote and accelerate the recovery of injured tissue. Healing effects include bone and tendon regeneration, increased blood vessel growth and a chemically induced decrease in pain and sensitivity of the pain receptors. The technology was developed from Lithotripsy, which uses acoustic shockwaves to break up kidney stones.
What Does RSWT Treat?
Research shows that RSWT is effective for most near to bone tendonitis. Examples include:
- Plantar Fasciitis (90% improvement)
- Tennis Elbow (77% improvement)
- Calcific Tendonitis of the Shoulder (91% improvement)
- Chronic Trigger-Points
The RWST procedureis mostly used to treat chronic heel pain that afflicts men and women equally. This new treatment is non-surgical, non-invasive, involves no time off your feet, and best of all, no anesthetic is required.
Are You a Candidate for RSWT?
If you have failed to obtain relief with conservative treatments such as taping, anti-inflammatory medication, physiotherapy, or chiropractic care, you may benefit from RSWT. Three treatments lasting 5 to 10 minutes each is recommended and many people feel relief after the first treatment!
With plantar fasciitis and heel spurs, RSWT should be combined with prescription orthotics for best results and long-term relief of symptoms. Although some people will feel relief after one treatment, it may take up to 12 weeks or more to experience the full benefit of the treatment.
Want to Know More?
Here are some links to further information about this new and exciting technology:
- Shockwave Canada Inc. – this site includes a number of studies providing scientific evidence, testimonials, a list of treatable conditions, and the benefits of this technology.
- The Results of Radial Shockwave Therapy – This article, found on the Canadian Chiropractor website was written by Dr. Robert Gordon and answers many questions you might have about RSWT.